Jelinek - Cork Mosaic Round (JEL)
MOSAIC TILES NATURAL
- Species: Cork
- Approximate Dimensions: 23" x 11-1/2" x 1/4"
- Wear Layer: N/A
- Finish: Unfinished
- Warranty: 10 year residential wear
- Minimum Order: NO MINIMUM
- Installation: Glue installation
- Ships Within: 1-3 weeks
- Construction: Solid cork with mesh backing
Cork tiles are an all natural product produced from the renewable bark of the Cork Oak tree. Because this is a natural product, color shades will vary from tile to tile. This is a natural occurrence that enhances the beauty of the floor and therefore often one of the reasons for selecting cork flooring.
Please layout tiles (dry lay) before gluing or permanently installing to ensure that you are satisfied with the look. Installed tiles can not be returned.
Variations in color, thickness, and tile size are natural attributes of cork. These characteristics should not impede installation provided they are known and acknowledged by the installer. Our warranty covers tile defects but not installation problems. We suggest familiarity with our installation instructions.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us (Jelinek Cork Group Tel: 1-800-959-0995 Or 905-827-4666 email@example.com http://www.jelinek.com)
All Jelinek products are carefully inspected prior to shipping. Final inspection and approval is the customer's responsibility. Patterns and colors must be verified as correct before installation. Claims cannot be accepted for installation of incorrect material.
Jelinek warrants for a period of ten (10) years after shipment that its' cork floor and wall tiles are free from manufacturing defects.
THIS WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER:
- Workmanship of installation
- Dissatisfaction, problems or damage due to improper installation
- Damage due to accident or abuse
- Dissatisfaction, problems or damage due to irregularities caused by the subfloor including, but not limited to hydrostatic pressure in the subfloor
- Dissatisfaction based upon shade or color variations in the tiles.
THE WARRANTY IS EXCLUSIVE AND IN LIEU OF ANY WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR PURPOSE OR OTHER WARRANTY OF QUALITY, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, AND ALL OTHER LIABILITIES AND OBLIGATIONS ON THE PART OF JELINEK CORK.
LIMITATION OF LIABILITY:
The buyer's sole and exclusive remedy against Jelinek Cork shall be, at the option of Jelinek Cork, replacement of the defective material or refund of the purchase price of the floor tile. In no case will Jelinek Cork be liable for labor to remove and/or reinstall its' cork floor tile and/or cork wall tiles. In no event shall Jelinek Cork be liable for direct, indirect, general, special, incidental, consequential or other damages of any kind whatsoever, regardless of the causes of such damage.
For the purpose of this Warranty, the names Jelinek Cork, Jelinek Cork Group, Jelinek Cork Limited and Dodge Cork Canada Ltd. shall be considered interchangeable and therefore the warranty is applicable to any one or all of those named.
MOSAIC TILE INSTALLATION
Jelinek Cork Mosaic installation is similar to typical ceramic or mosaic tile installation using the glue then grout method.
Subfloor Preparation: First and foremost, the existing substrate should be checked for stability. If any areas are loose or weak, be certain it is fully secure. Small cracks or screw holes should be filled, ensuring that the compound being used is one that does not crack or shrink, will bond well with your substrate, and is compatible with the adhesive. Always check with the manufacturer of the filler compound prior to use. It is extremely important that the floor is perfectly flat and smooth. Failure to do so may result in individual rounds being higher or lower than the next, which will result in damage to those areas once installed. Also ensure the area is clean, including complete removal of vinyl tiles, old adhesives, loose or weak concrete, dirt, debris, and any other contaminant that may impact the bonding of the Jelinek Cork Mosaic.
Moisture Precautions: Jelinek Cork Mosaic floors should never be installed over any areas where there is any indication of moisture beneath subfloors. Moisture problems are especially common in basements or on freshly poured concrete or levelling compounds not completely cured. It is the responsibility of the installer to test for any signs of moisture. All subfloor moisture problems must be permanently eliminated prior to installation. If unsure of how to fix a moisture problem, it is best to contact a professional for sound advice and/or repair.
Note concerning installations in damp/wet areas: These installation instructions are for standard applications using water-based contact cement. Though Jelinek Cork Mosaic is perfectly suitable in damp areas such as pool surrounds and bathrooms, we do not recommend installing the cork mosaic in completely submerged areas.
Before beginning installation, be sure to read over and fully understand each step of the installation instructions.
Important Note: Jelinek Cork Mosaic tiles must be placed in the area being installed and left to acclimatize for a minimum of 72 hours prior to the installation.
Recommended adhesive: Water-based Contact Cement
- Before applying adhesive, dry-lay and perhaps pre-cut Jelinek Cork Mosaic sheets where they will be installed.
- Ensure that the sub floor or area being installed is clean and free of dust, dirt or debris as are the back side of the Jelinek Cork Mosaic tiles.
- Evenly apply water-based contact cement across the prepared substrate and the back of the Jelinek Cork Mosaic sheets according to manufacturer's instructions. This is best done with a lint free or sponge roller to ensure maximum coverage. Always follow the Manufacturer's instructions as shown on the adhesive containers. Note: The contact cement must be applied to both the subfloor and the back of the cork tile and left until fully dry to the touch prior to attempting install. Failure to do this may result in partial or no bond.
- Once the contact cement is fully dry, carefully place each Jelinek Cork Mosaic sheet onto the adhesive. Make sure to use even pressure as this ensures each piece is firmly adhered and the sheets are level. Note: Contact cement adheres on contact. Be sure the sheets are where you want them to be as there is very little room for movement.
- Place the sheets next to one another as you install. If any additional sheets need to be cut, Jelinek Cork Mosaic can be cut and shaped with a sharp utility knife.
- Once all tiles have been installed, remove the plastic film from the top of the Jelinek Cork Mosaic tiles.
- If staining the tiles, do so now. Again, stain per manufacturer's instructions and allow to dry fully before proceeding to step
- Recommended: Water-based wood stain. It is also recommended to test the stain on a spare piece of tile before staining the whole floor. Note: Individual cork rounds may absorb stain differently. This allows for a natural and unique look.
- To ensure that there is no "film" left from the grouting process to come, apply two coats of water-based polyurethane (recommended) to the tiles and let dry per manufacturer's instructions. This helps when cleaning the tiles once the grouting process is complete.
- Once the water-based polyurethane is dry, evenly distribute the grout (if gap is larger than 1/16" be sure to use sanded grout) with a high quality rubber grout float, making certain all joints are being completely filled to a point level with the top of the cork. The finished joints should be uniformly smooth, without any voids or low spots. Note: We recommend using the Cork Mosaic grout supplied by Jelinek Cork.
- To prevent grout from drying on top of the cork, remove the excess grout from the top of the cork within about 10 minutes using a damp sponge. This will ensure there is no film left on the tiles.
- Allow the grout to fully cure. This could take a few days. This is a very important step. If the grout is not dry and polyurethane is applied over top during the next step, the potential for discolouration is high and can be extremely difficult to repair.
- After the grout has fully cured, finish the installation of the Jelinek Cork Mosaic by evenly and thoroughly applying two additional coats of water-based polyurethane in the same manner as in the INITIAL SEALING step. It is extremely important that the grout is dry and also that the entire area has been covered with the polyurethane to ensure a complete seal. Failure to do so will result in discolouration of the grout. Note: Some color variation may occur among individual tiles due to the natural qualities of cork. The color of the tile can also be altered depending on the type of finish applied. For example, clear water based polyurethane or ambering (or yellowing) polyurethane.
Always follow manufacturer's instructions for all products involved to allow for best results. If in doubt with any part of the above steps, please feel free to call and speak with our technical support representatives by calling 1-800-959-0995 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
No special maintenance is required for mosaic tiles. If needed, simply wipe with a damp cloth as you would any floor.